Interested in a career in Childminding?

Registration is compulsory for anyone looking after one or more children under the age of eight, for payment, for more than two hours in any day, under the Childcare Act 2006 and Standing Orders for the British Army in Germany SO BF(G) 3218. For more information about whether you need to register see Become a registered early years or childcare provider in England and look for the document 'Registration not required'.


To start the process of registering with BFEYS, please contact

Childminding Coordinator
British Forces Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tel: 0049 (0)173-8873811

Please see our booklet 'Guide to registration on the MOD Early Years Register' on our Childminder Information page for practical information about registering as a childminder. Childminding Coordinators can provide further information and guidance throughout the registration process.


To register you need to:

  • attend a pre-registration briefing
  • complete the application pack requesting vetting checks for all persons aged 16 years or over normally resident in the home intended for childminding purposes
  • apply for the start-up grant
  • apply for permission to use your SFA for business purposes
  • pay the vetting fee to AWS
  • complete a childminder’s pre-registration course, a safeguarding course and a paediatric first aid course (for infants and young children)
  • complete the BFEYS ‘MOD Early Years Register: application for childminders and homecarers’ booklet (following the completion of vetting checks)
  • have a BFEYS home inspection and 'suitable person' interview to prove you can meet the requirements of the EYFS
  • arrange the relevant childminding insurance

Once this is complete, you will receive your childminding certificate from BFEYS and can start caring for children.


Registration by BFEYS will allow providers to demonstrate to parents that essential standards have been met. It also allows the childcare to become qualifying childcare for the purpose of Working Tax Credit (further information can be found at, and employer childcare voucher schemes, such as the Armed Forces Childcare Scheme administered through Sodexho (further information can be found at