SECTION 1 - General Instructions
SUB SECTION 8 – TRAINING
Nominations for Courses of Instructions
1.119 If there is a Dep employee training requirement and it cannot be provided internally by the employing unit, the Line Manager is to forward the requirement to the LEC Sp Svcs Training Wing. On receipt of the application the LEC Training Wing will:
- Confirm whether the requirement can be met from the current course programme or can be provided as a bespoke one-off training episode using Training Wing resources.
- Research and consult with other MOD/BFG training providers and make recommendations to the unit if appropriate.
- Assist in finding external training if the employing unit has been unable to source a suitable provider.
- Maintain a central record of all training requests, results, and expenditure.
1.120 It is BFG’s policy to provide as much of the required training ‘in-theatre’ as possible in order to minimise absences from the place of work and relieve pressures on training and travel and subsistence (T&S) budgets. Resources for training are provided by both MOD Centre, BFG, and by other BFG employing organisations and MOD Agencies. Dep employees may apply to attend the same course as UKBC staff of similar grade, including those courses run in the UK, subject to the Budget Holder’s and Line Manager’s approval.
- Cost of Training. Should costs arise for training provision these costs must be born by the employing organisation’s budget. Exceptionally, however, OC LEC Training Wing has delegated authority to authorise training expenditure exclusively for BFG units only (less T&S expenditure – see sub para ‘b’ below).
All other BFG employing units and MOD Agencies (other Land Forces units, SCE, DIO, DE&S, ISS(G), et al), require the financial approval of the appropriate Budget Holder. Prior to submitting any application for training for which there is a cost, budget authority is to be obtained in the first instance. This requires a detailed justification in letter form to be submitted to the appropriate budget authority. Such requests should be submitted at least six weeks prior to the training requirement.
- Associated T&S Costs. Irrespective of the source of training provision all T&S costs must be authorised in advance by the employing unit’s Budget Manager. The approval of the Budget Manager is required prior to the placement of any LEC on training courses, study days, seminars etc, outside the regular duty station or when T&S costs are likely to be incurred. In all situations T&S costs are to be strictly controlled in accordance with current departmental guidelines.
1.121 The approval of the Budget Manager is required prior to the placement of any Dep employee on training courses, study days, seminars etc, outside the regular duty station or when T&S costs are likely to be incurred. This approval is especially necessary when a Dep employee has been nominated to attend a training course provided by a commercial provider either in the UK or in the FRG. In all situations T&S costs are to be strictly controlled in accordance with current Departmental guidelines.
1.122 All training applications are to be submitted using the form at Annex C to this instruction.
- For Training Courses at the LEC Training Wing. Unit Line Managers are to complete in full Part 1 of the application and forward it to the LEC Training Wing. The LEC Training Wing will complete Part 2 and return it to the unit for completion of T&S requirements at Part 3.
- Upon completion at Part 3 the unit is to forward the application to the local GLSU for completion at Part 4. Where funding is required for the training, a copy of the Budget Holder/Managers financial approval is to be attached.
Note: Part 2 is not required in respect of courses not being conducted at the LEC Training Wing.
- Part 4 is to be completed in full by the LSU furnishing the appropriate Budget Holder/Manager with the total T&S cost. On completion the LSU is to forward the application to the appropriate Budget Holder/Manager for completion at Part 6. Where travel by exceptional means is requested the application is to be forwarded to HQ BFG, Log Sp (Tpt & Mov) for completion at Part 5 otherwise this part is to be ignored.
- On completion of Part 6 the Budget Manager is to return the form to the employing unit in order that the Dep nominee can be informed and the necessary administrative details can be organised, such as travel and accommodation arrangements or otherwise as the case may be.
1.123 In situations where T&S, is denied, or non-attendance on a training course for whatever reason, it is a unit responsibility to notify the appropriate training authority.
Team Training and Sports Activities
1.124 Team training can make an important contribution to the effectiveness of organisations. For this reason, such activities can be a valuable use of time and resources and are not discouraged providing they fall within the scope of regulations and the rules on regularity and propriety. Details as to what constitutes team training and the procedures to be followed are contained at Annex H to this instruction.
British Territorial Army Training
1.125 Any Dep employee who is a member of the British Territorial Army will be entitled to a maximum of 14 days during a calendar year unpaid time off to attend training. However, during this period all social contributions will be paid by the employer.
Revised: 1 JUL 15