Here is a list of things that you need to think about with regards to moving out of your Service Family Accommodation (SFA) in Germany and moving back to the UK. SFA in Germany consist of a mixture of federal properties and hirings.

SFA Differences

Many people find that the houses and flats in Germany are more generously sized than those in the UK. Your SFA in the UK may not give you all of the storage space to which you are accustomed or large items of furniture may not fit well into UK SFA. Now is the final time to clear out the clutter!

Application Process for SFA 

If you intend to move into SFA in the UK, as part of your rebasing move, you should have submitted your application to your Unit Welfare Team by 16th November 2018

Formal allocation panels will take place in February 2019. You should be given your new address in the UK by the end of March 2019

If you are moving as an Individual Assignment then you will need to apply for your SFA on receiving your Assignment Order. 


Your removals will be provided under the Global Removals Management Service provided locally by Agility Logistic Limited (Agility). Follow the link for more information:

You should note that if you are moving after the 1st June 2019 there is no need to apply  online for your removals. 

Please note Agility may sub-contract to other removal firms. 

Defence Accomodation Stores

Personnel who currently have DAS items in their quarter will be given the opportunity to purchase them when they leave BFG. 

If you wish to purchase DAS items you should identify these during your Pre-Move Out visit (Pre-MO) to your Housing and Estates Manager (HEM). This should take place before the Agility survey. The Pre-MO is conducted by your HEM who will advise you on the procedures and price list for you to purchase DAS items. To give you an idea of costings, the approximate cost of a dining table is £30 and each dinning chair is appproximately £10.  It should be noted that if you do not have the full inventory of DAS items, or proof that you have purchased the items, the missing DAS items will be billed at full cost. 

Survey and Allowances

SFA surveys will take place for rebasing moves in January/February 2019 and will be booked via your Unit Welfare Team. 

The standard allowance for your families’ move to the UK is 67.92m³. If you make any last minute purchases: you can still add these to your loading list either at the time of survey or by notifying your UWO (assuming that the overall volume does not exceed your cubic metre allowance). By a set cut off date Agility will need to know if you intend to purchase a large item (firdge or sofa) which was not listed at the time of survey. 

To figure the cubic metre capacity of an item, multiply height x width x depth (for example: a small fridge is 1m high x 0.7m wide x 0.6m deep, giving a cubic capacity of 0.42m³). Once you have calculated the additional m³ capacity you should inform your UWO who will ensure that Agility add this to your loading list. Any additional items or increased volume within your overall allowance, not accounted for at the time of survey or notified to the UWO, WILL NOT BE MOVED.


Personnel should remain vigilant while their removal trucks/containers are open and in the process of being loaded to ensure that nothing is added or removed from your load. A responsible adult should remain with the removals container at all times.

Service Family Accommodation

Attics and Cellars

We can’t guarantee that your removal team will move items out of your cellars and attics. You will need to check with the removal team at your survey. If you are required to move items out of your cellar or attic and you need help to do this, please plan ahead and request some assistance via your Welfare Team. 

Bulk Rubbish

If you have a large bulk refuge requirement you can book direct with your local Stadt to have your bulk rubbish removed or request assistance from your Station Housing Office who may be able to help. The bulk rubbish removal service is a personal cost.

Pre-Move out (Pre-MO) / Move Out (MO) 

Your Pre-MO Advisory Visit (PMOAV) will take place no later than 9 weeks before your move. If you have not been given a Pre-MO visit date in this window then contact the Housing Office to make arrangements. If you are unavailable you can nominate a representative to be present. The representative must be empowered to sign a bill for damages and deficiencies on your behalf. A proxy form will need to be signed to allow your representative to stand in during MO appointments.  

Please note for Pre-MO visits either the Head of Household or their spouse must be present. 

Move-Out Standards

The standards are dependent on what property you are in and what the standard of your SFA is at the time of the PMOAV. It is important to follow the advice of the SHEM/HEM who will let you know exactly what is required. They will also inform the HoH/Occupants if the property has a follow on use as part of Future Defence Presence (FDP), is a Hiring or is a Federal property. 

  • If you are in a property that has follow on use then you will have to hand back your SFA to the same standard that you received the property in. 
  • The standards between Federal and Hirings are similar, however again it is dependent on what the standard is like at the time of the PMOAV. 

The standard for pet cleaning is the same regardless of follow on use. All occupants that have kept pets are required to have the carpets treated as per the JSP 464 regulated standard.

Raising of Charges

If at MO the SFA fails to meet the cleaning standards set out at Pre-MO, you will be liable to pay the full Married Quarter Cleaning Service charge applicable to your SFA. It will not be possible to delay the MO.

Charges will also be raised at the time of MO for any damage and/or loss to your SFA or DAS items that are deemed to be caused by the Head of Household, members of their family, visitors or pets.

Transit Insurance

It is your responsibility to ensure your belongings are adequately insured during your move. You will need to be covered for Deep Sea Marine Transit. 

There are companies listed on the Agility website under ‘Transit Insurance Carriers’. Please note that these are reference only and have not been vetted by Agility or the MOD. 

Don't Forget!

You can contact or visit your local Housing Office with any questions you have. No question is too small or silly. You can call:

Paderborn/Sennelager Housing Office on 05254 982 4435.

Bielefeld Housing Office on 0521 9254 3108 or 3128.

Gütersloh Housing Office on 05241 84 3949.

Single Soldiers Living Accommodation

Remember to always follow packing guidance and timeframes given by your units and ensure items listed as restricted are not packed. 

Removal Allowances

The Personal Effects (PE) scale for personnel for single or unaccompanied soldiers is 6m³ (1078 Kg) to, from and within the UK and North West Europe. This equates to 18 standard size MFO boxes. 

Bulk Unit Rebasing moves single and unaccompanied soliders belongings will be consolidated under the direction of the Unit QM. 

For full details of your unit’s direction on moving unaccompanied baggage please contact your Unit RQMS or CQMS.

Moving to Your Own Home?

If you currently have the property rented you will need to give your tenants notice. Check the terms and conditions of the contract and allow plenty of time. If you find yourself without accommodation, you may be able to take advantage of the temporary housing available at the Services Cotswold Centre. For more information please visit:

If you are thinking about renting or buying in the UK, Money Force, Joint Support Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) and GOV.UK can provide advice. 

Useful links:

Please note the Forces Help to Buy Scheme is due to close to new applicants from 31st December 2018.