For schooling, forward planning is key. This section gives you an insight into what to think about and research while also giving you links to helpful websites.

The Directorate Children and Young People (DCYP) has been working closely with the Army Basing Programme (ABP) to ensure that the education needs of children returning from Germany, or moving within the UK, are recognised by those responsible for planning school places. 

Service families will be facing decisions regarding their children’s education. For some, this may be the first time that they have had to deal with the UK education system and it may seem a daunting prospect. DCYP, through the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS), can help service families through this process by providing appropriate information, support and advice in order to ensure that children and young people are provided with every opportunity to achieve the best possible outcomes and fulfil their potential. 

The CEAS website can be found at the following web address: or email CEAS at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

The SEND Code of Practice can be found at the link below:

This Code includes guidance for local authority schools, and others in England on the particular needs of Service children who have an identified SEND and how these requirements can be met. Service children within MOD schools who have a SEND should be assured that there is a well rehearsed process for the transition from a MOD school to a school within the UK. Parents should visit the Local Authority and School websites for further information. 

Information for families with SEND children moving back to the UK can be found in the following document. pdfTransfer of children with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) This document provides assistance with processes, and tips on how to make your transition easier.

Information Packs 

To help you as a parent and to support your child when moving school, CEAS have a guide on moving schools. They also provide a range of information documents on school admissions, Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA) and SEND registration. Please contact them for any of these publications. The HIVE hold the information packs should you wish to pick one up. 

Childcare Calculator

To check what childcare help you might be eligible for visit the calculator at

Use this calculator to find out how much you could get towards approved childcare, including:

  • free childcare for children aged between 2 and 4
  • help with childcare costs if your child is under 16 (or under 17 and disabled)

School Transport

It is unlikely that you will require transport to school. Generally, the walking distance measurement is two miles for children under 8 years old and three miles for children 8 years and over. This is calculated on the shortest safe walkable route. If you chose the nearest school and you have been allocated a school further away, you may be eligible for free transport for your child. 

Unlike school buses in BFG, it is unlikely that a Local Authority school bus will have a bus escort irrespective of the age of the children. 

You should note that if you opt to apply for a school outside your schooling area then you will be responsible for getting your children to and from school. 

Top Tips!

It is important that if you already claim Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA) for any of your children, that you remain within the eligibility rules for accompanied service, so check this out first before making any plans:


If you are returning to England with children in Reception Year through to Year 11, make sure you register them for the Service Pupils Premium. 

In England, if your child attends a State school, Academy or Free school and has been registered with the school as a Service pupil, the school will be granted a Service Pupil Premium of £300.