Tidworth is a small town and offers a wide range of facilities centrally located, comprising of two supermarkets, various pre-schools, primary schools, a SureStart children’s centre, a bank, a family pub, various take away restaurants and a great selection of mums and tots groups. The Tidworth Leisure Centre is a joint military/council facility and offers a wide range of sporting activities, swimming pool, squash courts, tennis courts, gym and children's holiday club.
The Salisbury Plain HIVE serves the Salisbury Plain Super Garrison which sits within the boundary of Wiltshire. The location is rural and surrounded by the vast Salisbury Plain Training Area but is easily accessible from the A303 which provides easy access to the M3 serving London and the main route into the West Country.
Tourist attractions close by include the World Heritage sites of Stonehenge and Woodhenge. Other popular family attractions are the New Forest, Beaulieu Motor Museum, Longleat Safari Park and various National Trust properties. Coastal resorts are about an hour away and London is within easy reach by rail or road.
Local Authority: Wiltshire Council
- The Regular Army Basing Plan confirms Salisbury Plain as a major focus of the Reaction Force element of Army 2020.
- Basing three Armoured Infantry Brigades around Salisbury Plain allows Defence to make efficiencies in how we train and generate forces, how we support and scale our equipment and how we manage and support our Army personnel.
- The pattern of Army training may alter slightly on SPTA. It is anticipated that training activity will return to levels prior to commencement of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, which resulted in specific operational training requirements dissimilar to those previously carried out. With the return to training for ‘contingency’ (potential for as yet unseen operational deployment) the Reaction Force brigades will be required to train in their primary role
- MOD has been managing the Salisbury Plain estate for decades and is fully aware of its responsibility.
- In Situ Tidworth Enduring Units – HQ 1 Al Bde, KRH, RTR, R Welsh, RRF, 4 Bn REME, 6 Bn REME, 10 AEC, TNB Garrison.
- In Situ Bulford Enduring Units – HQ 3 UK Div, HQ 12 Al Bde, 1 MP Bde (elements), HQ 4 MI Bn, 3 Sig Regt. Lodger Unit - 19 Tank Regt (elements).
- In Situ Larkhill Enduring Units –, HQ RA, RSA, 32 Regt RA. Lodger Units - CD CS – OS Contractors (Sodexho, Babcock).
- There will be significant investment across Salisbury Plain with plans for infrastructure works at Tidworth, Perham Down, Bulford, Larkhill, Ludgershall and Upavon. Plans include new build Single Living Accommodation, new build Service Family Accommodation, additional mess facilities and technical accommodation including workshops, garages, stores and offices.
Between now and 2020, 4,000 soldiers, along with their families, will move to MoD sites across Salisbury Plain.
Head of Army rebasing reassures troops
Children's Education in rebasing
British Troops gear up to come home from Germany
- Next >>