This section has links to a selection of organisations and services whose aim is to help families and individuals who need support with child welfare, family and personal issues.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.


From humble but determined beginnings as the Federation of Army Wives we have grown to be an influential and trustworthy voice of Army families.


We aim to help married or single personnel, and their families, with any personal or family difficulty by providing a confidential, professional and specialised welfare service.


Visit the BFEYS pages for information about childminders and childcare.

British Forces Early Years Service (BFEYS) is a Tri-Service Accredited Organisation for the regulation of childcare provision conducted overseas on military premises or in Service Family Accommodation, in North West Europe.


The British Forces Social Work Service provides services for adults with ill health and disabilities, carries out assessments where required and provides services for vulnerable adults as part of a multi agency response.

Career Transition Partnership (CTP)

The Career Transition Partnership (CTP) is the Ministry of Defence working with Right Management. Leave the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force or the Royal Marines at any rank and you can benefit from resettlement support, career transition advice and training opportunities. We’re the official provider of Armed Forces resettlement.

Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS)

CEAS are part of the MOD’s Directorate Children and Young People (DCYP) and are a small dedicated team, who are experienced in advising service parents on a wide range of issues regarding the education of service children in the UK and overseas. CEAS provides expert and impartial advice about the education of service children.

This service was formerly provided by the Parent Partnership Service (PPS)


ChildLine is a confidential service that offers help and advice for 7-18 year olds.

Churches & Chaplains

The Chaplains within British Forces Germany are here to support you and your family through our pastoral and religious support for those of all faiths and those who have none.


The Defence Medical Welfare Service provides practical and emotional support to military personnel, their registered dependents and entitled civilians, in operational and non-operational areas while they are in hospital.


The HIVE is an information network available to all members of the Tri-Service community. It serves both married and single personnel, together with their families, dependants and civilians employed by the Services.


Home-Start helps a wide variety of families who are looking for support for many reasons including isolation, loneliness, postnatal illness, relationship problems, disability and coping with multiple birth or several children.


Kindergeld is paid for children if they usually live in Germany. The application forms and guidance leaflet can be downloaded (in English)

Legal Services

Army Legal Assistance and RAF Legal Services provides free legal advice for British Army personnel serving overseas and their dependants.

Area Claims Office (NWE) is responsible for handling claims by and against the Ministry of Defence in many parts of Europe.

Money Advice Service

We are an independent service, set up by government to help people make the most of their money, we give free, unbiased money advice to everyone across the UK – online, over the phone and face to face.


MoneyForce is the home of money guidance for UK Service personnel and their families.

Whether you're dealing with debt, interested in investments or puzzled about payday loans, MoneyForce will arm you with all the information you need to get MoneyFit.


Relate BFG is no longer accepting new clients. To access an MOD Relationship Counselling service, please phone the AWS Intake and Assessment Team confidentially: Mil: 94777 3053 or Civ: 0044 1904 882 053


SSAFA provides lifelong support to anyone who is currently serving or has ever served in the Royal Navy, British Army or Royal Air Force and their families.

Each year, our staff and network of 7,500 volunteers are there for more than 50,000 people, ranging from D-Day veterans to the families of young soldiers wounded in Afghanistan.

Support Helplines

24 hour Confidential Help Lines


A veteran is anyone who has served in HM Armed Forces, regular or reserve including National Servicemen.
Veterans status also applies to former Polish forces under British command in WWII and Merchant Mariners who have seen duty in military operations. Veterans can be any age from 18 to 100 plus. Veterans need not have served overseas or in conflict.