You are required to register your vehicle with BFG VLO within 45 days of arrival.


You will need the following forms:

pdfBFG Form 60  - Application for a BFG Form 80 (Special Import Licence)

pdfBFG Form 20 - Application for BFG Registration


Step 1: Application for a Special Import Licence

Complete your Application for a Special Import Licence and submit to the Customs and Immigration Office:


Once processed by C&I, you will receive your Special Import Licence (BFG Form 80). You will require this alongside your Application for BFG Registration  (BFG Form 20) to register your vehicle.


Vehicle Pass

A temporary vehicle pass will only be issued if the vehicle has its original registration documents, is insured and has a valid roadworthiness certificate. Bring these with you to the BFG office. The vehicle pass is valid for a maximum of 45 days - if it expires before your BFG registration documents are returned, you are not permitted to drive the vehicle.

Please note: Anyone who has been issued with a 45 day vehicle pass and does not complete their BFG registration within the 45 days, may face a penalty as per SO BFG (G) 3213.


If your vehicle is over three years old it will require a roadworthiness inspection.

You can book the inspection by calling your local BFG Inspection Centre. If you however hold an in date MOT/TüV certificate, you can still BFG register your car. You will then have 45 days from initial registration to complete the test, or the run out date of your MOT/TüV certificate, whichever is the earliest. Please note a lights check will be carried out during this inspection.


BFG Vehicle Lighting Test

During the 45 day period following initial BFG registration, the vehicle owner must ensure that the vehicle has headlights and rear fog lamp(s) suitable for permanent driving in right hand traffic systems, and that a BFG Light Test is passed. LHD vehicles not previously registered in the UK are exempt from a BFG Light Test.


Step 2: Vehicle Registration Application

Your Vehicle Registration Application (BFG Form 20) must be submitted with the following documents:

  • Insurance showing Chassis Number (UK- Green Card, or insurance policy and schedule. The address on the documents must show a German address, QTR or Unit.  German - Double White Card and Proof of Payment)
  • Special Import Licence (BFG Form 80)
  • Proof of Ownership (Vehicle Log Book or Allocation Certificate and Certificate of Conformity (CoC) if not previously registered.)
  • BFG Roadworthiness Inspection Report (if completed)
  • Lighting test pass certificate (if completed)
  • Proof of VLO Charge/No Charge Certificate

A proof of postage will be issued by the BFG Clerk.


IMPORTANT: Ensure that all documents are in the applicants name and signed by the applicant (the vehicle owner)


Vehicle Insurance

You may find that you are restricted to certain insurers for BFG registration purposes. This is because most German insurers are unwilling to insure BFG registered vehicles. Once they understand that the individual is not registering on the German ‘net’ but with BFG VLO, they usually refuse to sell us insurance. Most UK insurers won’t offer insurance to individuals permanently resident in another country, which is why we are limited to the few UK specialist military insurers who understand that individuals assigned to BFG are exactly that - permanently resident in Germany.

Whilst other insurers may offer you insurance, you will usually find it is holiday (or a variation of) insurance, and that they won’t pay out should you have to make a claim. OC VLO regularly speaks with insurers, both German and British with a view to enabling a market with as much choice as possible.

The VLO rules on insurance are there to protect the BFG community from unscrupulous and unsuitable insurers. They ensure that you are perfectly road legal so that in the event of a claim, your application should be processed without any unnecessary obstacles.

It can be slightly more expensive to insure a vehicle here in Germany (though not necessarily) and LOA and COLA take this extra cost into consideration.


Insurance cancellations

Please remember, that if you change your insurer or renew a policy for whatever reason then you must inform the VLO. When you make any change to your insurance (or if you miss a payment) then your insurer writes to OC VLO to inform him. He is then legally obliged to suspend your BFG registration until such a time that you have demonstrated that you are adequately insured. This effectively means that you are driving your vehicle illegally as you are not registered with an authority and the OC is then obliged to send you and your Chain of Command a letter informing them that you are in breach of Standing Orders.

It might also mean a nasty shock if you are expecting to swap your tax free vehicle after 12 months as you need to accumulate 12 months BFG registration before you can sell your car on, and every day you are uninsured is an extra day on the end of that 12 months.

Should your insurance be cancelled for any reason you will need to renew your BFG registration using a BFG 20 (available in VLO Licensing Forms). Please visit your Local Vehicle Licensing Office for further advice.  

Please keep the VLO informed via your Local Office. If you are in doubt as to whether the VLO know that you are adequately insured then please pop into your local VLO with your latest policy, or contact us at the numbers provided.