Selling to an Entitled Person within Germany
- A Bill of Sale must be completed in duplicate (signed by both the seller and buyer). It is adviseable for the Seller to take copies of the Bill of Sale, Form 73 (Registration document) and Form 4003.
- Complete Form 4003
- The Buyer, within 14 days of purchase, must complete Form 20 and return it to the NSE Office with the following documents.
- Proof of Insurance
- One copy of the Bill of Sale (signed by both the Seller and Buyer)
- Photocopy of the Form 73 (Registration document)
- TüV Certificate (if required)
- With the seller's agreement, the Buyer may also submit the seller documents:
- Form 4003
- Bill of Sale
- Aral Fuelcard
- Original Form 73 (Registration document)
IMPORTANT: Please make sure the Seller's signature is the same as the one on the 73a (VLO Registration document). The Buyer should not delay in submitting their initial application as the Seller will not receive their de-registration certificate until the transfer is complete.
Selling to a non-entitled person/garage/scrapping a vehicle (within Germany or elsewhere in the EU excluding UK)
- A Form 38 application must be completed and returned with the relevant papers to Customs & Immigration. Please take a copy for your records
If the vehicle is being scrapped following an accident, then the name and address of the insurance company replaces that of the UK address, otherwise the name and address of the scrapping merchant replaces that of the UK address.
- On receipt of confirmation from C&I complete the Form 4003 and return it along with registration plates, tax disc, Form 73a and a copy of the scrap certificate or insurance scrap notes to the Office. Also take with a copy of the authority letter from C&I giving you authority to de-register the vehicle.
- When you have received the de-registration certificate you must pass this on to the new owner, as they will need it to register the vehicle.
Registering a vehicle in Germany or elsewhere in the EU excluding the UK
- You must complete Form 38 and return it with relevant paperwork to Customs & Immigration, BFPO 16. Please take a copy for your records.
- On receipt of confirmation from C&I complete the Form 4003 and return it along with the registration plates and Form 73 to the NSE Office. Also take with you a copy of the authority letter from C&I giving you authority to de-register a vehicle.
- When you receive a de-registration certificate (Form 272) pass it on to the person whom you disposed of the vehicle to, as they will require this to register the vehicle
Deploying on Op Tour or Exercise
If you are due to deploy on an Op Tour, then you need to check your Form 73a (Registration Card) for the current registration period and TüV test. If either are due to expire whilst you are on deployment you need to consider your course of action.
Current regulation state that you may renew your registration up to 30 days before the expiry date and that the registered owner must sign all documents. If you cannot meet these requirements there are a number of options you can take:
- If you want to renew your registration earlier than the 30-day period you must complete a Form 20 - renewal and submit a letter stating the reason for early renewal of registration.
- You may leave a letter authorising your spouse to sign the documents on your behalf.
- Apply for SORR. Your Op Tour must be 6 months or longer and the vehicle will not be driven until your return.
SORR (Special Off Road Registration)
If your vehicle is being taken off the road due to extensive repairs or you are deploying in Op Tour for 6 months or longer then you may apply for SORR for the duration.
In order to categorise a VLO registered vehicle as 'Special Off Road Registration' the owner of the vehicle must:
- Obtain appropriate insurance cover for the vehicle which takes into account the environment in which the vehicle is left. ie. vehicle kept in a garage or left on a designated off road park in barracks.
- Complete the Form 20 and return it to the NSE Office together with the Form 73, vehicle insurance and confirmation unit of Op Tour dates if applicable.
The vehicle must NOT be driven or parked on any public road or place during the period of SORR.