Below is a step by step guide detailing how to apply for your new card.
- If you are applying for your ARAL card in advance, ensure that the vehicle registration number you have, or are given, will be accepted by the BFG Vehicle Licencing Office (VLO) and will not need to change.
- Visit the application form page and choose the form (car or motorcycle) you require. This will transfer you to the secure form page. Where it asks you for your unit admin office address, use the drop down menu to select your local Station Admin Office. This is where you currently register your car. This is the office that will issue you with your new card.
- You can include up to 6 entitled individuals (including yourself) on your application. This is because we recognise that you may have other members of your family or friends who you permit to drive your vehicle and refuel it. You are only to include people who you know are Entitled Persons by being either serving military, a UKBC or an entitled dependant.
- Check the boxes on the second page of the application form to indicate that you understand the use of the ARAL card and that all nominated drivers are BFG entitled.
- If you do not have access to a DII or internet computer, you will need to speak to your RAO or UWO who will arrange for access to a unit computer and provide assistance as necessary. You must apply for your fuel card online. You must also have a personal email address to apply for a fuel card - your dii address is perfectly acceptable as long as it ends in mod.uk. Aral require an email address from you so that they can contact you should they wish and so that you can log on to your Aral account where you can, amongst other things, check how much fuel you have used in any given month.
- It is your responsibility to confirm that you and the people you have listed as additional drivers are Entitled Persons. If you nominate anyone who is not entitled, you will incur a sanction. If in doubt, check with them before you include them in your application.
- When you collect your card from your Local Vehicle Office you will need to bring your ID card and BFG Form 73(A) (vehicle registration card) with you. Payment of the administration charge for the card will need to be made at this point.
- Your card is only for use at ARAL service stations on the station finder. Once you have refuelled, present your card to the cashier who will swipe it to generate your bill: this will be the cost of the fuel drawn less Mineral Oil Tax and Mwst. You then pay that tax-free amount. Keep your receipt, as it will tell you what your ration balance is after refuelling. You can also see your balance when you log on to your BFG Fuel Card account – the details will be emailed to you by ARAL.
- Should there be a problem with the ARAL card there should be an error slip printed from the card reader which will give the reason for the refusal. This is required by ARAL to ensure reimbursement. If no error slip is produced you must try to get a written explanation from the cashier, stamped and signed. Complete the Fuel card refusal form from this website. The sooner you act on a refusal the easier it is for this office to get a result.