You will need the following forms:
The UK cessation of membership of the EU means that Force Personnel are now only able to return vehicles to Great Britain on transfer of residence (assignment). There is no longer a provision to return vehicles back to Great Britain during an assignment, tour in Germany.
- Apply for Application for transfer of residence relief (ToR1) The NoVA/ToR1 application cannot be processed without a ToR number issued by HMRC.
- Apply for a NoVA 1 by completing the NoVA/ToR1 application form. Applications can be submitted up to 28 days before registration with the DVLA is required. Send the application to C&I, Antwerp Barracks, BFPO 16
NB. The date requested on the NoVA/ToR1 application form should be the date of registration NOT the date you are travelling. Avoid selecting weekends and periods of Stand Down as you will be unable to complete the registration on that date.
- Vehicles must have a valid VLO registration. If not, you must complete the process for renewal.
- Up to 14 days before the Registration date customers must attend an NSE Office with the following documents.
- v55/5 (pages 1 and 2)
- Form 73
- Form of ID (driving licence plus one other)
- Vehicles over 3 years old - TüV certificate (must have 14 days or more remaining, by date of DVLA registration)
- Proof of UK address for V5 Document
- CoC - for vehicles registered by VLO, must provide Allocation Certificate and Certificate of Conformity
- Valid UK Insurance Certificate or Cover Note
- The NSE Clerk will check all the documents and forward to the VLO. Please ensure you have either a contact telephone number and/or email.
IMPORTANT: Please be aware that from this point forward the UK Registration Process cannot be cancelled despite any subsequent changes of circumstance.
- On the date of registration you must first pay any duty due (Registration Fee). Payments can be made by German Bank transfer or paid in cash (using the GAR) through your NSE.
- In order to be issued with a NoVA1 your vehicle must be in Germany on your nominated UK registration date. A physical check of your vehicle will take place on collection of your UK registration documentation at your local NSE.
- You will also need to complete Form 4003 and submit along with your Form 73, Aral Fulecard and if applicable the registration plates when you are collecting your DVLA paperwork.
- Once you have UK registered your vehicle you are no longer permitted to use your Aral FuelCard. The use of your Aral FuelCard after the vehicle's UK registration date is a contravention of the conditions of use and would result in a sanction.
Important Conditions on VLO Import and Export of vehicles
Many members of the Force take advantage of living in Germany under the Status of Forces Agreement and purchase motor vehicles free of VAT and import duty. There are however, conditions attached to qualifying for VAT and duty relief.
The vehicle must be owned and registered with the GEO Vehicle Licensing Office in Germany for a minimum of 6 months and the owner must have been resident outside the UK for 12 months, before it can be disposed of in any EU Country or returned to Great Britain under the regulations for ToR (Assignment). If the vehicle is sold in the EU there may be a tax liability imposed by the German Authorities and/or a tax liability imposed on import into another EU Country. Any vehicles returned to Great Britain for which ToR relief is granted cannot be lent, used as security, hired out or transferred to another person within 12 months of DVLA registration.
The restriction will be entered onto the DVLA V5C on registration.